About Me

My photo
50ish gal who views the world with a bit of cynicism. Our world is full of hilarity at every turn, and I feel the need to express my views on it. Others may think it, I say it.

Followers

Monday, October 25, 2010

What is really important?

I was watching a news piece last night about unemployment in our country, with the focus being on Silicon Valley. I live in California, in a small town and while I know lots of people who have lost jobs, I don't see the same devestation.

Every one of those people had a college education, many had master degrees and Ph.d's. They had been working some very high powered and high paying jobs that were associated with the high tech or financial sector. Some directly, some indirectly and all very well paid. Along with the good pay were very long work hours.

With the money comes things. Houses, cars, clothes, vacations, etc. For most people, if you are making upwards of $400,000 a year, you are not going to be living in a modest 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. We are conditioned to spend every last cent we have on material possesions. Do we really need these possesions?

Consuming is a mask for our real discontent with where we are in life. I went to college, got a good job, got married, have 2.5 kids, a big house, new cars, lots of toys and go on vacation every year. I am leveraged up to the hilt. The American dream right? Now, I am unemployed. Bye bye savings, college funds and 401k's.

So what are the new job prospects? Target, Starbucks, Walmart, etc. Other that the huge disparity in pay, I don't see this as a bad thing. You meet people from every walk of life and that in itself is eye opening, and you may learn a few things about yourself and others. It will give people a chance to reconnect with family and friends. These are the times when you find out who is who.

Having to give up our lifestyle and live outside our comfort zone is very scary. Less is more is a hard concept for most people. Life is all about change and new experiences, although we would like to be the ones making those decisions. I hope some of these people will embrace the change and it will be a positive experience for them.

We all need to do our part to make sure we are all taken care of. If this means volunteering, donating to our local food bank, or any number of other things, then do it. But for the Grace of God Go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment