About Me

My photo
50ish gal who views the world with a bit of cynicism. Our world is full of hilarity at every turn, and I feel the need to express my views on it. Others may think it, I say it.

Followers

Monday, August 23, 2010

My former Brother-in-Law

I got a call yesterday from my daughter informing me that her Uncle, my former brother-in-law, passed away on Saturday night. Very unexpectedley. He was only forty eight. Though I have not seen him in several years, my kids would mention things from time to time about what he was doing or where he was living.

My former husband was my high school sweetheart, so by default, we all went to school together. My sisters and his brothers. By the time I was a junior in high school, I had my drivers license and a car. My husband (not yet), was off in boot camp and then off to Chicago for school. I would pick up his brother, a freshman, every day for a ride to school. He would get in the back seat with his carnation instant breakfast and off we would go. Sometimes, we had my cousin or another girlfriend with us. He was very quiet and always grateful for the ride and I was happy to do it.

As a young married couple, my brother-in-law would come over, spend weekends, play with the kids, re-connect with this brother. Those were good times for all of us. We would also see him at family holiday dinners at the in-laws house. Those were not quite as fun, as my in-laws did not like me. I never really knew why, I suppose they thought I was beneath them in some way. Vodka helped those times!

The husband and I did not stay married, although I am happy to say, we are still friendly. Subsequently, I lost contact with my brother-in-law. Last time I saw him, he was friendly and we chatted a bit. He moved to a different state and was married to a woman I never met, but understand they were happy together. That's all you can hope for. I am sad to hear of his passing, because to me he will always be that fourteen year old kid drinking carnation instant breakfast in the back seat of my car.

Goodbye Jim, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment